Today we will be taking a closer look at Environ Skin Care's Vita-Enriched Colostrum Gel
. The Vita-Enriched Colostrum Gel contains high concentrations of bovine colostrum and is enriched with vitamins and a variety of antioxidants, including Green Tea, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. You can find it in the Comfort+ Range, but as you will learn it can easily be included in the Youth+ and Moisture+ Ranges with its wide spectrum benefits.
What is Colostrum?
Colostrum is a thick yellow fluid, rich in protein, growth factors, and immune factors. It is secreted by the mammary glands of all female mammals during the first few days of lactation. It also contains essential nutrients and protease inhibitors that keep it from being destroyed by the process of digestion. Humans produce relatively small amounts of colostrum in the first two days after giving birth, but cows produce about 9 gallons of colostrum.
Why Bovine (cow) Colostrum?
Environ Skin Care uses Bovine Colostrum because cows are extremely effective milk producers, so it can be obtained in large quantities. Baby cows require less than half of the colostrum that the mother cow produces. That excess colostrum is all that is taken and then put through a vigorous testing process before reaching consumers. Research has shown that bovine colostrum has properties similar to human colostrum and therefore is easily assimilable by humans and is up to 40 times richer in immune factors than human colostrum. Research also shows that only bovine colostrum contains special glycoproteins and proteases.
The major components of colostrum include the following substances:
- Immunoglobulins: these are globulin proteins that function as antibodies. They are the most plentiful immune factors found in colostrum. They counteract bacteria and toxins in the blood and lymphatic system; immunoglobulin M (igM) seeks out and attaches itself to viruses in the circulatory system; immunoglobulins D and E (igD and idE) remove foreign substances from the bloodstream and activate allergic reactions. High-quality colostrum is certified to contain a minimum of 16% immunoglobulins.
- Lactoferrin. Lactoferrin is a protein that transports iron to red blood cells and helps to deprive viruses and harmful bacteria of iron.
- Proline-rich polypeptide (PRP). PRP is a hormone that regulates the thymus gland, helping to calm a hyperactive immune system or stimulate an underactive immune system.
- Growth Factors. The growth factors in bovine colostrum include insulin-like growth factors (IgF-1 and IgF-2), an epithelial growth factor (EgF), transforming growth factors (TgF-A and TgF-B), and a platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF). Growth factors stimulate normal growth as well as the healing and repair of aged or injured skin, muscle, and other tissue.
- Growth hormone. Growth hormone slows some of the signs of aging.
- Leukocytes. Leukocytes are white cells that stimulate production of interferon, a protein that inhibits viruses from reproducing.
- Enzymes. Colostrum contains three enzymes that oxidize bacteria.
- Cytokines and lymphokines. These are substances that regulate the body's immune response, stimulate the production of immunoglobulins, and affect cell growth and repair.
- Vitamins. Colostrum contains small amounts of vitamins A, B12, and E.
- Glycoproteins. Glycoproteins, or protease inhibitors, are complex proteins that protect immune factors and growth factors from being broken down by the acids in the digestive tract.
- Sulfur. Sulfur is a mineral that is an important building block of proteins.
How is Colostrum "anti-aging"?
After puberty our body begins slowing down the production of our body's Growth Hormones. These hormones are necessary for the reproduction of virtually all of our body cellular tissue. It has been shown that by age 80 we are producing virtually no growth hormone at all. Colostrum's growth factors are the actual hormones that stimulate the normal reproduction of body cellular tissue. Normal reproduction means just that (normal) not aged, cancerous, wrinkled, or weakened. The New England Journal of Medicine stated that the most effective anti-aging process would be simply the replacement of growth hormones at proper levels to slow, possibly stop and even reverse the aging process.
Does Colostrum help with wound healing?
Colostrum's immune factors are highly effective antibacterial and antiviral agents to help reduce and eliminate infections in external injuries (cuts, burns, abrasions and surgical wounds). Colostrum also contains epithelial (skin) growth hormone that stimulates accelerated healing and powerful anti-inflammatory agents that can eliminate swelling and pain.
What are the key ingredients in the Vita-Enriched Colostrum Gel?
- Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract - a plant extract that is a great "cure-all", anti-inflammatory and provides soothing and bactericidal properties.
- Epigallocatechin Gallate (Green Tea) - benefits for skin including anti-aging, antioxidant and skin-soothing properties.
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (vitamin C) - major water soluble antioxidant and helps protect against UV damage.
- Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E) - major lipid soluble antioxidant, offers photoprotection, prevents the effects of UV-induced free radical damage to the skin
- Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil
There was an 8 week clinical study performed with the Environ Skin Care Vita-Enriched Colostrum Gel with very impressive findings. Key highlights are below.
Clinical Support for the Benefits of using Colostrum Gel in a home care regimen: (2, 4, and 8 weeks of use)
- Significant improvement in skin hydration : immediately improves skin hydration (moisture) and this improvement is maintained and increased with prolonged use
- Significant improvement in facial skin brightening
- Significant improvement in facial skin texture/smoothness: improves skin texture (smoothness and softness) in 98% of subjects using the product and improvements are increased with duration of use averaging a 32% improvement at week 8
- Significant improvement in facial skin radiance/luminosity: improves skin radiance and luminosity by an average of 32% and improvements are increased with duration of use
- Improves the appearance of facial pores with over 90% of users showing significant improvement
- Significantly improves the appearance of BOTH periorbital and forehead lines/wrinkles with over 90% of users having an average of 20% reduction after 8 weeks of use
How do I best use the Colostrum Gel?
Colostrum Gel by its nature is a super fresh "pre-milk" product and therefore is Environ's shortest shelf life product. It is manufactured with a 6 month sell by date and should be used AM/PM each day until the bottle is empty. Colostrum Gel can be introduced at any stage of the vitamin step-up system, including those not using vitamin A
When used separately, it can feel a bit tacky on the skin, so you can recommend adding a pump to your vitamin A moisturizer
Excellent booster for skin fighting inflammatory conditions and menopausal and postmenopausal skin.